The Most Fun You Can Have With Your Socks Off

Ah the humble record store. What a joy it is to traverse its creaky floorboards. How the eyes widen as you step back once more into the analog age. How the mind expands as you inhale its dusty air, unlike your narrowing bronchial tubes. It’s almost like returning to the womb!

Well, not really. I was in Phonica today, and my experience wasn’t utterly fantastic.

That’s not due to any failing on the part of the shop itself though. In fact it’s as good as a record store gets for me. Contrary to those all too predictable moans you see on various messageboards I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. But then I tend to believe people who talk about “snobby staff” in places like this walk around waiting to feel condescended to and probably end up being rude themselves in the process just to prove themselves right.

But what I did find, after listening to a few records, is that actually I don’t really enjoy buying records in public, or in record stores anymore. It’s overrated. Call me a recluse (did you just call me a recluse? lose the attitude!) but I feel awkward buying records in an environment where I have to ask someone to listen to each one, or pick them off the wall or whatever. I hate having to decide whether I like a record in this setting. I realised that today, I couldn’t make any decisions. I only felt indecision.

In my case, this is probably for two reasons. Firstly, because I’ve been buying stuff online for so long that I’m used to taking my time. I’ll listen to the samples over and over again for a few days and then make a decision. I used to spend a whole day on various sites listening to tracks when I did the radio show. Then after a good few hours I’d do a final list at the end and go through them (I’ll probably never have that much time again)

The second reason is that before I bought stuff online I worked in a store for 2 and a half years. When I was on the other side of the counter, I got quite used to being able to listen to records as many times as I wanted before buying them, and it was nice letting a record sit in my head for a few days before making any decision about it.

There are (and were) exceptions of course. Some stuff grabs me as soon as I put the needle down (or click “play”) Sometimes the production of a record can leap out before you ever hear how it develops melodically. Sometimes it’s just a matter of making sure it doesn’t do too much more, and you’re thinking “this is great, nothing too overt needs to happen to this, oh jesus where did that vocal come from and why etc”

But regardless of what sort of record it is, I basically realised today that I don’t enjoy record stores much anymore. They’re just pretty awkward. But I’m in no doubt that it’s my fault, not theirs.

As I get older I actually mostly hate discussing music in a social setting, except with friends who know me. For example in a new job I would never bother to explain the music I like, or put forward any kind of opinion about music, because I’d rather make friends! Sometimes I find myself almost apologising for liking techno, not because I believe it to be inferior in the slightest, but just because I know that lots of decent and good people don’t really understand it, and never will. I guess anyone who likes this music has felt like this sometimes.

A record store is slightly different, but it’s in the same ballpark. I do get that feeling of my taste being on trial. Now I’m not so naive as to blame the store for that, it’s my own insecurity. They probably don’t give a shit what I listen to. Either way, I shouldn’t care even if they do. But I do and I reckon others might too. The problem is that buying records has become something I do on my own, a private pastime the privacy of which I really enjoy.

I also dislike the feeling that somebody has to work to help me flick through tunes, and the inherent pressure to buy that comes with that. I think as long as there are record stores, that will always be a factor for some people. I know when I worked in a store I would feel mildly miffed if I helped someone a lot and then they didn’t buy anything.

It’d be interesting to hear what you guys think. I guess that the comfort of home may (for some of us) be a much nicer place to buy records. At home I can have a cup of tea, take my time, and listen to as many records as I want (plus I don’t even have to wear pants. I do though, don’t worry.) Also if a record is particularly exciting I can react to it with embarassing enthusiasm and nobody sees, instead of having to stifle all those synapse twitches into a barely perceptible head-nod.

I could go on. If I come in drunk and need to listen to a new release I’m excited about I can do so. Or if I want to hear forthcoming releases that’s an option I really love too.

So you know, I’m not for a second dismissing the record store, or criticising any specific store, but today I went to one that I think is one of the best around, I was full of enthusiasm, and in the end I didn’t really enjoy it much.

PS: One positive part of the trip was the new Brothers Vibe on Deepvibes. Unfortunately I couldn’t buy it as I realised I had no way of bringing it home without paying for an extra bag on Ryanair, but it definitely did excite me just about enough to force that barely perceptible head-nod!

Comments 32

1. Isbjorn wrote:

I completely know what you mean about musical discussions and having to EXPLAIN (which is what it comes down to eventually) why you like techno to people who don’t understand. Most of the time now I just don’t bother. It’s not a failing on their part or anything, it’s just that it’s a different ‘reality’ – a cultural relativism of sorts.

As far as record stores go, Phonica is great in terms in many ways but has become so much more than a record store. For example when you see the guys who work there (and who don’t even dj) hang out in the DJ booth, it might seem to some that they might carry a shade of self-importance with them that’s not really appropriate for a record seller (which is what they are essentially). Since when is it appropriate to identify a DJ by the record store he works for on a line-up anyway? (As in Hector (Phonica) vs, for example, Efdemin (Dial). Didn’t realize Phonica produced records! Anyway…

There are types of record stores still that have a completely different vibe. The selection might not be that great – I’m talking 10 labels or so – but you walk in and you are amongst friends; they know you, you have a chat, you have a beer, you listen to some stuff, talk about, more beer and then decide. No pressure. Just good vibe. There’s one like that in Camden I go to. Still love record store because basically they have records. :)

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 12:47 am
  2. Isbjorn wrote:

*Hang out in the DJ booth in Fabric on Saturdays I meant to say. God damn rum. :)

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 12:49 am
  3. Ronan wrote:

See I don’t live in London (for another 4 weeks until I move) so I don’t know about that stuff in Fabric that you mention.

I have always found Phonica (3 or 4 times I’ve been over) to be pretty good to shop in and friendly and stuff.

But then I’ve never had a really strong relationship with one particular store so I can’t relate to that so much.

I do think when I was a sales assistant myself in a record store I made a lot of friends amongst customers, but as a customer myself not so much. I don’t mean I was a rude dickhead, or they were. I’d have gotten to know people in a good few of the shops around Dublin but I still didn’t thoroughly enjoy shopping in them.

“Still love record store because basically they have records”

hehe…yes they are better than say a hardware store or a butchers.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 12:52 am
  4. Isbjorn wrote:

Did you end up buying anything? :)

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 2:30 am
  5. RoK wrote:

I do recognise the urge to explain your musical taste. Nowadays I just don’t bother anymore when my mum calls me to tell me Tiesto is on tv…

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 6:51 am
  6. RoK wrote:

When it comes to record stores I always felt welcome as a regular customer in Outland Records in Amsterdam (run by DJ Jerome nowadays). I bought so many Soma records they used to call me ‘Mister Soma’, and always ended up spending way too much money.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 6:55 am
  7. RoK wrote:

Nowadays I don’t visit recordstores anymore, for exactly the reasons you put in the article..

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 6:57 am
  8. Ronan wrote:

Isbjorn, no I didn’t buy anything! As I said I had one piece of hand luggage which would have warped the record badly and a plastic bag would have equalled another. So I realised I’d be better off to leave it.

RoK that’s funny about Tiesto. I don’t think my folks would recognise Tiesto, which may be a blessing.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 9:53 am
  9. tomo wrote:

The only time I get excited about going record shopping now is when I visit 2nd hand shops as you don’t know what you’re going to find. Recently picked up the circus company catalogue for next to nothing.

Its a fucking chore trying to explain your musical tastes.

‘what kinda stuff do you listen to?’….. ‘I listen to house music’ …….’what, stuff like Bob Sinclair?’……’No… but yeah, only not shit…..’But I like Bob Sinclair’…..’Fuck off’.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 10:29 am
  10. Ronan wrote:

yeah exactly…what I find particularly hard is when I say something like “I like dance music, but you know, not Bob Sinclair” and then they assume you mean electronica or something. Like you either like utterly experimental dry boring blips or else you have your top off every friday dancing to Bob Sinclair. There is a middleground!

And it’s like, trying to explain that really brain changing stimulating stuff can also be sort of sleazy or party music, that’s so difficult. They just can’t get it. It’s art AND it’s fun.

I often think that even the great stuff lives in this world that’s on the edge of sleaze and vacuousness…that’s just the way house and techno are.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 11:02 am
  11. Joe wrote:

I can’t STAND bob sinclair.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 12:52 pm
  12. peder wrote:

very on point post.

i think phonica has got a lot better actually re: the rude thing. i’m always slightly on edge when i go there (kind of expecting rudeness), maybe once a week or so, and i go out of my way to be friendly which seems to work. maybe i’ve just got a lot better!

anyway, tangents aside, the best record shop i’ve been to is predictably, kompakt. super friendly staff who really go out of their way for you, obviously a great selection and excellent backstock, and you pull out the records yourself, no hassling, take as long as you like. just the way it should be, always end up spending upwards of €100 when i’m there.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 5:06 pm
  13. marc wrote:

So true about not wanting to talk about music tastes Ronan. Funnily enough, a good friend and I got in a conversation a few weeks back about music (he doesn’t understand techno, but I respect his music taste anyway :) and after he told me of his dream concert (some folk something or other) I said that there was no music setting I’d rather be in than a dark sweaty dancefloor at some crazy hour in the morning. He looked at me, puzzled, and asked “Do you dance?” Haha.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 5:09 pm
  14. loopus wrote:

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 5:14 pm
  15. loopus wrote:

‘what kinda stuff do you listen to?’….. ‘I listen to house music’ …….’what, stuff like Bob Sinclair?’(this is the point when they start to whistle )……’No… but yeah, only not shit…..’But I like Bob Sinclair’…..’Fuck off’.
    Anyway i know exactly that feelin’, like if the guy that works there is just sitting there watching you all the time. first time i got in a record store i didn’t know how to act, i think i said to words that day “thank you”(maybe one since it was in spanish “gracias”) after paying, but i guess the good thing of going to a record store is that instant gratification, you listen to it,you like it, you buy it, you go to your house and play it. On line you have to wait for the package for at least a day or more.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 5:17 pm
  16. Ronan wrote:

well, unless you are a digital heretic.

@marc: “I said that there was no music setting I’d rather be in than a dark sweaty dancefloor at some crazy hour in the morning. He looked at me, puzzled, and asked “Do you dance?” Haha.”

Yes this is exactly it. Something about the very act of dancing is really undignified to some.

I was speaking to a friend recently and she was explaining “I don’t like clubs because I don’t dance”, and it’s like, what do you say to that?

“I get drunk and dance for hours, it’s brilliant”. I wanted to say something that would explain how cathartic and fun it can all be, and how it’s the weirdest form of absorbing art imaginable, but probably just mumbled something about Watergate or somewhere.

The relationship between the clubs and the music is weird too, at some points of my life I’ve been at clubs constantly and that keeps me interested in the sounds, then there are other times where all I’m doing is listening to records and hardly out at all.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 5:25 pm
  17. Chris wrote:

Continuing this vein on dance music’s disregard: I’m just back from New York where I spent some time in Bklyn and saw (on seperate nights) Todd Sines DJ @ The Bunker and Tim Sweeney / Metro Area @ Studio B. Todd Sines’ night was DEAD. About two people dancing and I was one of them, everyone else attempting to pose or just get drunk. Flat, deflated atmosphere tho not helped by a crappy PA.

Tim Sweeney / Metro Area was an entirely different vibe – a party atmosphere tho ironically I was far less into the music – but that seemed to illustrate something to me: that people need to feel the music is ok to dance via post-punk/disco references and therefore retro-reaching and acceptable historically – as opposed to in some way classed too much as dance music (acid, minimal in Todd Sines case) which is something scary, alien to people.

I think, for the most part, people are now too self-conscious about their own image to really let go and get into the music without going ‘mad for it’ (I just saw Gabriel Ananda at Sankeys in Manchester last year which was ruined for me by a way-too-fucked crowd) so I guess it’s that the balance is right in Berlin / elsewhere but in the UK it’s harder to find.

I’ve found exceptions at Subculture / Sub Club in Glasgow (one of my favourite places and nights) and during my one visit to Fabric from 6am onwards when Villalobos/Pronsanto played…Once all the coked up people had left who did nothing but stand around with spoons and POSE.

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 6:04 pm
  18. marc wrote:

@Ronan: “I guess you don’t need to dance (anymore) to like the music, but I do think you need to have gone out clubbing at some point in your past.”

I think this is really crucial Ronan. If you haven’t ever danced to dirty electronic music until you just couldn’t dance any longer, or walked out of a warehouse blinded by sunlight, well then you’re just not going to really understand the music. You have to have that communal experience, that epiphany within a club, to help that understanding of club culture. To start from a place that doesn’t account for this experience is to miss a basis for the music in the first place. This is a functional music we love. And it’s function is to make us dance. Our appreciation of the music stems from that basic first experience.

@Chris: Posing is definitely a huge problem, and to be honest I’ve gotten so good at knowing which parties in NYC I want to go to and which aren’t worth it (even if the DJ is someone I’m dying to see). But I’d rather have the fucked Manchester crowd than the NYC crowd worried their missing some other party. Though neither is particularly desirable!

Posted 18 Jan 2008 at 7:02 pm
  19. todd wrote:

bob sinclair for the next podcast

Posted 19 Jan 2008 at 1:27 am
  20. doru wrote:

@marc “and it’s function is to make us dance”. – i always though of this the other way around: you have to dance the music in order to understand it. (which is to say that you are absolutely right). It’s a lot like eating, in my oppinion. You can be told about it and you can smell the food, but only after you eat it, first your body, then your mind trully understands what a lamb chop with gravy is about. Sorry if my argument feels redundant. I just couldn’t help it.
    @ronan. Regarding the “us vs. them” debate: as a former activist against (sic!) “generic repetitive music” i can only agree with a friend who stated that the great divide between “decent and good people” that don’t understand techno and and those who do is the beat. ‘They’ can only hear pam pam pam pam and nothing else. And it’s annoying them. ‘We’ have accepted and welcomed it into our systems and now we hear everything else that’s on the track. Sounds religious, i know, but it’s not.
    …and bob sinclair for next podcast!
    before everything here gets too serious :))

Posted 19 Jan 2008 at 6:31 pm
  21. molko999 wrote:

“I completely know what you mean about musical discussions and having to EXPLAIN…why you like techno to people who don’t understand. ”
    Also if you are over 30 and have a so-called “sensible” job like teaching, try to explain to your colleagues that you spend your weekends in clubs or that you are travelling to Berlin to see one DJ without being labelled crazy /a drug addict / irresponsible or worse…

Posted 19 Jan 2008 at 8:19 pm
  22. tiddlerz wrote:

hey Marc going to NY end of feb for fri and sat night and want to (try and) get my rave on. Which clubs would you recommend???

Posted 20 Jan 2008 at 3:58 am
  23. John Osborn wrote:

I think you are wrong about record shops and need to re-adjust back to the analogue way of buying records. Techno is a social activity, the dance floor would be a very unexciting place without people and the interaction of people is important. Therefore if you build up a relationship with the record shop the staff will know your tastes and can offer you records you may not know will ever listened to. Also online shops normally only offer a short edit of the track and at a bad mp3 quality. Or even worse is the word & sound shop that offers the worst quality edits and irritating files that open in itunes and stay there. So

A record shop for me is more than just about buying records – I meet my other Dj friends there and talk about new tracks anf ind out about music I probablz would have not have come across online, i find out about parties that are spontaneous and free magazine of limited quantity and of course flyers.

I see your point about being in the comfort in your own home but it would be a very very sad day when nobody went to record shops and just went to online stores.
    A record shop is like anything in life, the more effort you put in the more you get back. But then maybe i’m spoilt, I live in Berlin and Rotation Records is less than 2mins from my front door … :)

Posted 20 Jan 2008 at 11:17 am
  24. Ronan wrote:

Hey John,

I guess it’s a personal thing. I can see the value of those elements, of course meeting people and having a chat is good. I used to really enjoy when some customers came in when I worked in a store.

As I say I’m not saying my way is definitively the right way, just I found it interesting how the charm of the record store has worn off a bit for me.

I do think with the right attitude online you can find really great stuff, in the last 2 weeks this year has really got going for me and I’ve discovered a lot of new artists.

As regards sound quality, I didn’t have my own headphones with me when I was shopping and I found the sound quality quite crappy in the shop too.

It definitely can happen that way as well.

Maybe not in Berlin, haha :)

Posted 20 Jan 2008 at 12:21 pm
  25. John Osborn wrote:

Sure its a personal thing, and yes you can find some cool stuff online, I actually placed an order 5 mins ago with Juno!, but often i find that my online orders are for stuff thats ‘older’ and my local store has sold out of copies.

I also think it has something to do with age and having time. I have to admit that in the days of fat cat records (londons phonica of the early 90s!) I was much more enthusiastic about going there than going to a record store today.

But don’t give up on the record store, things swing round in roundabouts!

and your right it does come down to a personal thing. I hate the wait after placing an online order! Want my toys now, and gotta mix ’em up now!

nice blog dude. :)

Posted 20 Jan 2008 at 1:24 pm
  26. James wrote:

Agreed, its been a while since I purchased vinyl, but since using serato etc its brought me back to eventually get wax again with digi when I eventually “earn”.. I enjoy both formats of shopping, though yes some shops do give off that vibe but its also a personal thing, its like a clothes shop, theres a good chance u may feel a slight fool when dealing with the staff…

Regards clubs, well, personally and this is taking up on the people at clubs, is the increase of c+k?d up people on the floor, people in and out of the toilets etc…. really annoying

Posted 20 Jan 2008 at 11:02 pm
  27. Bee En Juan wrote:

Some good points from John, I agree the relationship that you build up with shop staff is one that can’t really be replicated on the net. The staff gain an understanding of your musical tastes and can point you in the direction of great music you otherwise would have missed.

Record stores were also a way when I was starting to dj to meet other djs and people who were interested in similar music. I learnt a lot this way when I was starting, and I’ve met some great people this way over the years.

A few years ago things reached the point where it was cheaper for me to buy house and techno on the net, with much more variety available. For awhile I did both (feeling a little guilty when ordering something I could have got at the local shop – albiet for $5 more). House and techno aren’t big here so unfortunately the record stores catering for this music have all gone. Luckily there are still some great shops left so I can both have the enjoyment of going record shopping and the variety and price advantages of buying online.

Posted 21 Jan 2008 at 1:58 am
  28. Kenny wrote:

Interesting post. I understand the awkwardness that can be felt in some shops, and i think some of it can even be down to the layout – ones where you are lined up infront of the staff i don’t like – but I nearly always go through my pile a few times.

Another issue can be if the records aren’t actually on the shelves and you have to get the staff to get them, cause some, quite ignorantly, can make it feel like its a chore when its their fucking job! I don’t care about ignoring the recommendations of the staff, especially if i don’t know them. Once you get to know the staff in a good friendly shop it can be a great advantage though, some gems you may never have heard are thrown your way and its this what is missing online. Though, say, Clone do have the “other buyers bought this” but who’s taste are really that similar y’know.

It can also depend on what time you head in at. In a shop where you meet mates etc its good craic on maybe the friday evenings when your chatting and passing records between each other “think you might like this one and so on” but its great – if possible – to get in say just when the shop opens, or if its open on a sunday, basically when its nice and quiet. you can take your time listening to stuff and you never feel the need to rush.

The discomfort of thinking you HAVE to buy something too is something i’ve just learnt to get over. Its just not worth the money. From knowing people working in shops I understand that it can be frustrating when people come in, man handle a tonne of records badly, and repeatedly purchase nothing – i know of people who used a shop to listen to stuff and would then go off and buy it online – but if you have some respect for their product, they will be more understanding and have more time for you. personally when i’m done I’ll go and try and put everything back tidily in the section it came from.

The main bonus is you get to hear the record all the way through properly, on the final product version. not some shit lowgrade digital file ,like some online shops do, instead of the higher end mp3.

Call me old fashioned, but its just part of the vinyl culture I love. I don’t really have a “local” store these days, where i can head in for an hour or 2, and just fish around the racks, and I really miss it. I’m already looking forward to my next trip back to it, as it really was one of my favourite pastimes – bar actually messing with the records when i get home…

Though increasingly many shops just don’t offer enough variety and product for me (and others) as they can’t afford to stock as much anymore due to less people buying – which is a double edged sword, its pushing more people on-line, but obviously isn’t worth the risk if alot of stock doesn’t sell.So I have to move online to get what I want – as also, many shops are still brutal at getting in specific items for you! (when will they learn :) )

thats my 2 cents anyways…

Posted 22 Jan 2008 at 3:06 am
  29. marc wrote:

@tiddlerz: Well, check the RA listings for the dates you’re here, but decent clubs would be Love, Cielo (better on a week night though, Monday’s for Deep Space), Studio B, and Sullivan Room.

Posted 22 Jan 2008 at 4:44 pm
  30. I Prefer The Obscure wrote:

Jeez, Ronan I could write a thesis on this subject. And a very interesting post indeed. The whole idea is to spark debate and create dialogue, which this certainly has. I have lived this very debate for a good 15 years. I’ve been buying music for nearly 20 years, and I spent 12 years in music retail. It’s a double edged sword really. I buy vinyl from stores and online. I still buy a few CD’s but generally get them sent to me, and I’ve a subscription to eMusic for downloads. I love buying music, I love music! Full stop. I debate the subject quite a bit, with friends, family, strangers, whoever. Everybody has an opinion, and generally a different take on the subject. I’m a massive techno fan, but equally, indie, electronica, folk, etc. For me, there’s only one kind of music, good music. Some music makes me happy, some sad, some I want to dance to, others I want to fall asleep to. It’s all music, and my mood determines what I want generally.
    I started as a part-time assistant in Freebird while at college, moving on to Tower Recs full-time as a buyer, then on to manage the Dublin branch of Disque, then over to look after the London branch of Disque, before coming back to Dublin to take on the chain of Music City’s in Dublin. A steady rise and fall, depending on your viewpoint. I’ve seen it all really. The beautiful customers that have become friends, the horrible punters that had staff members in tears, the obnoxious staff that didn’t know the meaning of the term ‘customer service’. I’ve seen the scams, on both sides of the counter, I could go on, and on. The advent of online buying has really opened the door for people that felt intimidated by the ‘independent store’ shopping experience. That is a good thing, as it has created competition, and has made retailers re-evaluate their values and services. Good quality stock, excellent customer experience, and a healthy, positive shopping experience is what we should all be entitled to now, or expect. But you also have to remember, not every member of the general public is a model customer. To put it simply, these people sometimes ruin it for everyone. It only takes one to put a whole team of staff in awful form on a Saturday. I see both sides of the argument, and i can sympathise with both really. I do feel that retail is a vocation, and people must have the right manner and temperament. It’s not enough to just know a bit about music. Some of the best staff I ever had knew nothing about music, but they picked it up quickly, and most importantly, they listened to the shoppers. I’ve had every insult thrown at me by customers, and I’ve been threatened physically. You never know who is going to walk through your door. I’ve had to call the cops, I’ve had to call the ambulance. There were days I worked 16 hours straight, and i totally loved it. The last person that walked in the door was treated like the first that morning, and they were treated equally whether they spent €1 or €100. All I can say is I wish I had been treated the same by the general public, but then one lovely customer restores all normality. But I love to shop for records. In London, Glasgow, New York, Berlin, everywhere. I love the anonymity, but also I like it when i pop into Road or Spindizzy, or City Discs, and someone somewhere has put a record by for me because they thought I might like it. I know I’m ranting, and being a bit sentimental, but it’s only since March ’07 that I stopped working in music retail. Twelve long years without a Saturday off, without a free weekend. With no Christmas holidays, or Bank holidays. As I said, it’s a vocation, and not everybody is cut out for it. I now like going to record stores on a Saturday, and paying my respects. And at the end of the day, it’s all about the music. That one piece of vinyl that sends a shiver up your spine, and puts a cheeky grin on your face. You feel like you’ve finally found something that you’ve always been looking for. And if that one piece of vinyl was found in a second hand store, online, or handed over the counter to you by some arrogant kid sneering at you because you’ve chosen a record he doesn’t rate, well who cares! You’ll have forgotten about him or where you got it long before the needle wears the record out and you need to go back for another copy (as I had to do on numerous occasions with UR003). Long live music….

Posted 22 Jan 2008 at 10:03 pm
  31. Ronan wrote:

Now how can I follow that post up! Well, at this time of night anyway, great post!

You might find this post from last year interesting, the photo is gone unfortunately but it was a really narky sign by the decks.

Posted 22 Jan 2008 at 10:13 pm
  32. I Prefer The Obscure wrote:

I’d love to have seen the sign. I can only imagine the sheer ignorance of it! I’d say we could swap some great record store stories Ronan. It’s a bizarre environment, no matter what side of the counter you inhabit. I didn’t realise how much of a rant I had gone on, until I saw it there now. This little comment box is rather deceptive in size. Maybe it should have a limit for ‘ranters’ like myself.

Posted 01 Feb 2008 at 2:09 am