Come on in, the blogosphere is warm

So first things first, get yourself over to London promoter Warm’s blog to check out a mix Mark E has done for them. On the hottest day of the year this is a good tip, slow and low, as you’d expect. It’s funny, listening to this and Anton Zap’s mix for Roof (or Daniel Stefanik’s latest remix on Kann, or loads of others) I feel like dance music is in its most summery phase in a long long time. Even markedly housier stuff than Mark E seems to sound Ibizan, and so much less pious.

I mean, sure, house has been dominating for ages now but there’s a more blissful feel to a lot of music around lately which I’m really getting a kick out of. Personally I’ve got sick of hearing bad dub techno lately. Despite an impenetrable armour of cred, this stuff often sounds to me like those vaguely electronic 90s bar house mixes with the temperature dropped ten degrees. Instead of a general wash of “oh this nice” you’ve got a general wash of “oh this is melancholy.”

You get to a point where imitations of Basic Channel become this endless fodder. Obviously it’s purely an instinctual opinion to say a particular well has run dry, but it’s also inevitable that others agree. I do think dub-techno is too much of a sacred cow, precisely because people are quicker to let bleak music off the hook than euphoric music, for whatever reason. Sometimes in techno it’s as if there’s something fraudulent or untrustworthy about positivity.

(An aside on 90s bar music: If you ever bought dance mixes or worked in a record store you’ll know the ones I mean, like “Lounge Grooves” or “Lounging” or “Hey Check It Out, I Am Sleazing On Your Partner In A Hotel Lounge To This Awful Shit Until The One Good Track That Cost Our Entire Budget For This Release Comes On, And Yeah It Is Jon Cutler’s ‘It’s Yours’! How did you know? Part IV.” The internet has certainly trimmed the fat since those days.)

As the sub-par dub stuff goes back to its secluded mudhut of endless respect I think house music and some of the disco/balearic stuff feel a lot closer together than they have been. There’s a renewed innocence to the stuff about at the moment, and though this might sound like the rantings of a dude who finished work at 2pm on a 24 degree day, I’m starting to feel summer 09 will have a real unifying brilliance to it in the clubs.

You know, maybe just a little more than every other summer! If you don’t believe me, have a listen to the fucking tune below for crying out loud. Christ…

PS: This is deliberately the shittest post title I have ever come up with. “The blogosphere-Come on in and make yourself at home. Feel free to take a dip in the discourse.”

Final edit: I blame the endless typos and fuckups in the first version of this post on leaving my flat for work at 5.30…

Comments

1. Gareth wrote:

have been reading ur blog for ages - it’s class by the way. feeling this new vibe too - about time everyone got dancing properly again!

2. Ronan wrote:

hey, thanks a lot gareth!

3. Jon wrote:

Couldn’t agree with you more about the dub techno Ronan. That paticular sound and the Berghain tough techno stuff is becoming so predicatble its almost a parody of itself.

4. Ronan wrote:

yeah the endless praise of how “dark” or underground this stuff is reminds me of reading rock reviews or something…this endless cycle of praising music for its lack of innovation/refusal to allow anything in…it’s not impressive, not for me.

5. Richard Brophy posting as "Bizarro" wrote:

I think house music and some of the disco/balearic stuff feel a lot closer together than they have bee- welcome to 2005

6. Ronan wrote:

7. Richard Brophy wrote:

Well 2005 was four years ago, so to say “closer than they have been” seems fair enough. They were very close back in 2005 already.. Can’t get much closer.

I’d also disagree it was the same stylistic crossover back then. I mean, the lushness and slow pace of Mark E or Anton Zap sounds like what exactly from 05? -a lot of producers but off the top of my head, people like daniel wang/balihu, or newworldaquarium and stinkworx were doing that kind of stuff back in 2005 (and even before that)….

8. Ronan wrote:

I meant closer than they have been in recent years…I thought that was clear but maybe not clear enough!

Thanks a lot for the tips on those earlier 2005 artists, I look forward to hearing some of them.

If you have any links that’d be great.

9. Richard Brophy wrote:

should be loads of stinkworx and newworldaquarium back cat with clips on clone, juno or hardwax - or check beatport for digital releases i guess. also check aardvarck on rush hour, he does a lot of slowed house with musical elements…wang started releasing again (on Rush Hour) but wasn’t intp the first thing i heard. maybe check beatport for older balihu stuff….

10. crystal baubles on 4 wrote:

I haven’t bathed in the blogosphere recently but I have been out a lot - though I haven’t really heard so much of the apparently ubiqutuous dub techno that I’ve been told plays from the top deck of the 55.

Feeling there’s a whole summery feel everywhere though, with this I agree - this may just be because I seem to hear Jerome Sydenham’s vocal dub of Flora Cruz’s Let The Sun Shine Out…everywhere

Things are good still/again/still